24 December 2010

Braciola

I found a recipe for Braciola on a forum I'm on. It involves flank steak, Mozzarella and Provolone cheese, Prosciutto, Italian seasoning, tomatoes, garlic, onions and carrots. It's supposed to involve celery (but I don't like it) and mushrooms (which I forgot). It's also supposed to involve a food processor and pasta, but I don't have the former, and didn't feel like the latter. Oh, and I don't have any pre-made Italian seasoning, but I do have herbes de Provence, so I substituted.

One is supposed to pound out the steak so it's about 1/2" thick (I didn't quite make it there, and next time I should use something heavier than the end of my quite lightweight rolling pin), line it with the cheeses, the Prosciutto, the seasoning, roll it up, tie it up, brown it, and put it in the crock pot. One then sautes the vegetables, then puts them in a food processor with whole canned tomatoes, which is then added to the pot and the whole thing cooked on low for 8 or 10 hours. I used pre-chopped canned tomatoes, and didn't really mix the veggies with the tomatoes before adding it all to the pot.

It came out quite tasty. The best bits are the bits with the seasoning in it. I added a touch of salt, but didn't need to have - the cheese and Prosciutto probably supplied enough. Also, when making rolled steak things, don't cover the entire surface - leave a margin on the side being rolled toward.




No comments:

Post a Comment